Diane von Furstenberg has recalled hitchhiking through England as a teen.
The legendary designer walked the red carpet at Monday night’s Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA) Awards and was asked whether she had ever tried the form of transport.
The question was related to filmmaker John Water’s recent hitchhiking trip across the country, traveling from Baltimore to San Francisco to see what would happen if he “gave up control”.
The director was a guest at the CFDA Awards and collected Johnny Depp’s style icon trophy on his behalf.
“Of course I hitchhiked. I hitchhiked when I was in boarding school in England,” Diane told New York magazine, before adding that she doesn’t have any exciting stories about the experience. “No, nothing. Neither bad or good.”
However, model Crystal Renn was keen to share her travelling experience.
Accompanied by Zac Posen, the brunette beauty is sure her adventurous travels in Asia qualify as hitchhiking.
“Maybe my bus ride in Cambodia for eight hours through the jungle would be on the same par. That’s kind of like hitchhiking,” she said.
Meanwhile, her designer escort was more interested in discussing Crystal’s look for the big night.
Zac may have missed out on a trophy this year but he happily discussed the stunning origami gown his model pal was wearing.
“I like that it has a regality to it, it has an Asian influence which was a big theme in my collection. The fabric naturally folded itself. It was an ancient Japanese fabric that I redeveloped and it is quite sculptural,” he said.
List of 2012 CFDA Fashion Awards winners:
- Womenswear Designer of the Year: Ashley Olsen and Mary-Kate Olsen of The Row
- Menswear Designer of the Year: Billy Reid
- Accessories Designer of the Year: Reed Krakoff
- Swarovski Award for Emerging Talent in Womenswear: Joseph Altuzarra
- Swarovksi Award for Emerging Talent in Menswear: Phillip Lim
- Swarovski Award for Emerging Talent in Accessories: Tabitha Simmons
- Geoffrey Beene Lifetime Achievement Award: Tommy Hilfiger
- International Award: Rei Kawakubo
- Founders Award, in honor of Eleanor Lambert: Andrew Rosen
- Media Award, in honor of Eugenia Sheppard: Scott Schuman and Garance Doré
- Fashion Icon Award: Johnny Depp